Saturday, September 12, 2009

A pizza revelation

Venus can be a fussy eater at times. She's not as difficult to please as some children I know of, but lately when we've had pizza she has flatly refused to eat anything. She used to eat pizza that only featured tomato and cheese. Then one day she decided that the tomato was just too much to bear so she stopped eating pizza altogether.

Lately we've been experimenting at home with making our own. I found a great recipe for quick pizza dough which requires no sitting around time for the dough to rise, and I'm sure the eight minutes of kneading is good for my arms. I'd like to think so, anyway.

But the best thing about making our own pizza is that we can put anything we like on it. Last time I made a half/half with leftover chicken curry on one side and chorizo, corn and fetta on the other side. Actually the chicken curry pizza wasn't too bad.

So yesterday when I said that we were having pizza for tea Venus did what she always does. She proclaimed "I don't like pizza!" in her best wail and started to cry.

Not to be deterred, I asked her if she would eat pizza if it only had cheese on it, and she said yes. As I was kneading the dough she informed me that actually what she really wanted on her pizza was vegemite and cheese - her favourite sandwhich filling. Considering that she'd agreed to eat pizza for the first time in ages I decided not to argue. Then as I was sprinkling chicken over the other pizza she asked for chicken as well.

A while later we all sat down with our pizza. Tuna, spring onion and red capsicum for me, chicken and barbecue sauce for Mars and Supernerd, and chicken, vegemite and cheese for Venus. And she ate a whole slice.

Well, almost a whole slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment