Friday, December 10, 2010

Too much noise!

The kids love to help me in the kitchen. They each grab a stool and they sit up at the bench and help with whatever they can. This is a good system because it keeps them within my reach, and away from the stove and oven.

Over time they have learned that only Mum is allowed to touch the sharp knives, we have to take turns with the sifting and the stirring, and sneezing into the mixing bowl is definitely not cool.

On one particular afternoon they each had grabbed a couple of spoons and were banging them on the bench and whatever else was handy, belting out that Play School children's classic "Singing in the kitchen" with the emphasis on lots of volume rather than getting the pitch or lyrics right.

While I would normally join in at the top of my voice, I must have been doing something fiddly because I just couldn't tune them out in order to read the recipe properly. 

I looked up and growled at them.

"Please can you stop making so much noise!"

In reply Venus immediately began waving her spoons up in the air so they made no sound and declared: 

"Look Mummy, I'm making lots of quiet".

At that point, all you can do is laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment