Friday, June 3, 2011

Grammar ninja

The misuse of punctuation irks me, and I am usually able to restrain myself from explaining to people that they are idiots, getting out a big black texta to fix things, or sending notices back to school with corrections marked in red pen.

But yesterday I saw something that I just couldn't let pass.

Supernerd and I were on our way to a local cafe for breakfast when we walked past another cafe with an A-frame blackboard outside, advertising the inclusion of tapas on their menu.

The trouble was, they'd written tapa's. Every single time. Three times on each side of the blackboard.

I saw it as we walked towards it, inwardly groaned, and was almost about to walk past it and keep going when I realised three important things.

Firstly, it was just chalk on a blackboard, so it was going to be really easy to fix.

Secondly, there was nobody sitting outside the cafe, so nobody but Supernerd would witness what I was about to do.

And thirdly, if I didn't fix it then every other person walking down that street would see the word tapa's and think that it was correct, and I just couldn't let that happen.

So I pulled on my grammar ninja outfit, crouched down and rubbed every single apostrophe off that blackboard with my finger. Then I went around to the other side and did it again.

Supernerd, always supportive, tried to get a picture of me in the act, but I was too fast.

Because that's what a grammar ninja does. 

We right grammatical wrongs and then vanish into the night. Or the cafe up the street. Either works for me.

1 comment:

  1. was this the same cafe that was looking for a "Barister" to make their coffee ?
    Ms Awesome

    ReplyDelete