Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Training wheels

Before Christmas it became clear that Mars really didn't need the training wheels on his bike any more. So he and Supernerd spent some time out on the bike path practising, so that he would gain confidence and we would be able to ditch the training wheels forever.

Supernerd thought it might be a good idea to start by taking just one training wheel off, so Mars would feel that he was doing well, but would still able to use the second wheel as a kind of bike stand (his bike doesn't have one), and all the reports indicate that he only fell off two or three times each time they went out to practice.

Often when I think about my son I am greatly reminded of my younger brother, and the things he used to do when we were young. Any activity associated with riding tricycles or bicycles, wth or without extra wheels, was fraught with peril for my brother, and my parents used to keep a running tally called Gravity Versus Steven. Often, gravity was the victor.

Anyway, we asked Mars to explain to his Nana what he had been working on down on the bike path. The conversation went like this:

Mars: "Nana, we took one of the wheels off my bike!"

Nana (with tongue in cheek): "I hope it wasn't the front wheel."

Mars: "Yes, it was the front wheel! Now it's a unicycle with training wheels!"

So it becomes clear that not only has Mars inherited some of Uncle Steve's love/hate relationship with gravity, but he also shares some of the mad sense of humour that comes from my side of the family.

I believe that some fun times lie ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment