Monday, September 14, 2009

Ain't no sunshine

There ain't no sunshine when she's gone
It's not warm when she's away
There ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And she's always gone too long, anytime she goes away

My sister, six years my junior, lives in the same country as me, but a long way away. At certain times I feel the distance more than others, and right now I feel every inch of it.

She came home recently to go to one wedding and stayed three weeks to be a bridesmaid in another wedding before flying home, and I'd just got used to the idea of her being around again when she left.

I love spending time with her because she makes me laugh and we have a lot in common. I guess you could say we are both the same kind of crazy.

But it's worse than that, because she's having a baby before Christmas and I feel the guilt of not being able to be there for her just in case she needs me.

Now, our parents will be there shortly after the due date, and her parents in law are also travelling north around that time. And she has a devoted and supportive husband whom I know will take good care of her, so she will by no means be alone or without help.

And yet I feel... I know a lot of words, but I don't know the word for this.

So the trip is planned but not yet booked to travel north after Christmas, and I am looking forward more than I can say to meeting the Tum Tum Monster.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kid, lots of cultures have gone before us with more wore words for love than you will find in the Shorter Oxford. We need to do what the ancient scholars did with better tools and that is simply to acknowledge that some feelings are too big to wrap in vocabulary. So we wrap then in laughter or tears as appropriate. You don't even have to choose them - they just come.

    ReplyDelete