Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The magical power of Michael Jackson

Today is Tuesday. I know it's Tuesday because I had to get up a little earlier to drive Venus to my Mother In Law's house before taking Mars to school. We do it every Tuesday, and it's a system that works.

I remembered it was Tuesday before I was even fully awake. I remembered it was Tuesday when we were packing Mars' school bag because he needs to take his music books on Tuesdays.

When we got in the car I completely forgot that it was Tuesday and drove in exactly the wrong direction.

I was almost to school when I realised my mistake. My next mistake was saying out loud "Oh, I've gone the wrong way!", because that's when Mars began to laugh. I got all shouty and told him that it wasn't funny. Then Venus chimed in with "Yes Mars, it's not funny. Stop laughing!"

Anyway we had Michael Jackson on in the car this whole time and I hadn't really been listening. I'd been talking to the kids, distracting myself, driving the wrong way, realising my mistake and feeling angry. But once I glanced at the clock I realised we still had plenty of time to go the long way back and still get to school on time.

So I calmed down, smiling to myself at Venus who is well into the "parrot" phase of childhood, and started listening to Michael being "bad", and boy, did that cheer me up. Pretty soon I was car dancing and by the time we were driving the length of the court where my Mother In Law lives I was swinging the steering wheel just a little in time to the music. Not enough to be dangerous, but just enough so the kids could feel it in the back.

Then a little voice from the back seat says "Mum, what's wrong with the car?" and I just smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment